Banana bread is not just for lockdown, it’s for life.
Not only is it a great way to use up overripe fruit, it goes down perfectly with a cup of tea mid-afternoon.
Known for her super quick and easy recipes, Instagram baker @cakeontherun has shared her latest banana bread that requires just four basic ingredients.
What’s more it needs no butter or oil so it’s pretty healthy too.
In fact, it contains just 116 calories per slice.
The recipe below makes a small loaf and will provide five slices, but if you’re feeding unexpected visitors, just double the quantity.
Similarly, if you’d prefer your homemade bread a bit sweeter, we’ve popped some tasty extras you can throw in just before you bake it.
From nuts and dried fruit to cinnamon and chocolate chips, the great thing about this recipe is that you can tailor it to suit your taste.
For lots more food inspiration, visit our recipe page.
If you love quick and easy recipes, sign up to the Bake On Bake Off newsletter.
Packed with deliciously simple ideas everyone can try, it’s free and you’ll receive an email straight to your inbox twice a week.
You don’t need any fancy ingredients or equipment, plus some bakes can be cooked in a microwave in under a minute.
Many of the recipes are healthy, vegan friendly and gluten free, offering a little something for everyone.
Plus there will be plenty of gossip and reaction from The Great British Bake Off when it’s on our TV screens.
It takes seconds to sign up – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Changed your mind? There’s an ‘unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.
*Gluten free option – use gluten free flour
*116 calories per slice
Banana bread recipe (a small loaf/ makes 5 slices)
- 100g (1/2 cup, 4oz) self-raising flour
- 1 medium overripe banana
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp maple or golden syrup
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/ 350F/ gas mark 4.
- Mash the banana in a bowl then add flour, egg and syrup.
- Stir with a spoon until combined.
- Line a small oven-proof dish or loaf tin with baking parchment and pour the mixture in.
- Oven bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy warm.
Banana bread twists
Jazz up your scrumptious loaves by stirring in any of the following ingredients into the mixture just before you bake:
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- Handful of chocolate chips
- Handful of chopped nuts
Handful of dried fruit
- Handful of fresh or frozen berries
TOP TIPS for the BEST banana bread
- 1 medium banana is around 100g.
- The spottier/ darker your banana the naturally sweeter it is so you won’t need to add additional sugar. Also overripe bananas are much easier to mash.
- If your bread goes a bit hard the next day, pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds – it will become super soft. Alternatively, pop slices in the toaster and smother with butter for a great breakfast option.
- If you haven’t got self-raising flour, use plain flour with one teaspoon of baking powder.
- Ovens do vary so check on your bread after 15 minutes. Check it’s cooked by inserting a knife in the middle of the bake and if it comes out clean it is cooked.